There’s a new trend, known as Intraceutical Treatment or oxygen facials, loved by celebrities in the United States.
Oxygen in aerosol is supposingly beneficial to:
- energize & restore active cell.
- improve skin permeability and absorption.
- reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- improve blood circulation.
- promote collagen production for younger looking skin.
What is aerosol oxygen?
An aerosol oxygen facial is a procedure that can be done by anyone as it is considered a “non-medical” procedure since nothing is injected into the body and no chemicals are used.
How it reportedly works
The body needs oxygen to thrive, which is why we breathe. The theory behind oxygen facials — which isn’t scientifically backed — is that skin cells that are fully oxygenated via an oxygen facial will look bright and healthy.
It’s easy to use, with just a simple pressing. During the procedure, after cleanse and exfoliate your face, release the oxygen to deliver a stream of high pressurized oxygen to the skin’s surface.
The tonic may contain Hyaluronic Acid, which is known to plump the skin, and is also applied to the face with the wand or after the oxygen portion of the facial.
Unlike more invasive treatments, there’s no downtime or healing after an oxygen facial. You can even apply makeup directly after if you choose.
What are the benefits of an oxygen facial?
Research on the efficacy of oxygen facials is mixed.
Anecdotally, many people report that their skin looks healthy and bright after the procedure, and before-and-after pictures support this. However, there’s little scientific research behind these claims.
Purported benefits of oxygen facials
- Added radiance. The main benefit of oxygen facials is that they allow the pores to easily absorb hyaluronic acid and other powerhouse ingredients from serums. Depending on what serums are used, benefits will vary.
- Hydrated skin. Oxygen helps infuse the serums into the skin. You can think of the oxygen wand like a little hose that delivers ingredients. Your skin will likely look and feel hydrated, especially if hyaluronic acid is a component.
- More even skin tone. Oxygen facials may deliver a large quantity of vitamins or botanical ingredients to your skin, which can result in bright, glowing skin.
- Reduction in fine lines. Oxygen facials are said to help improve blood circulation to the face, which can help skin look bright and plump.
- Calming acne. Oxygen is known to accelerate wound healing and may also kill certain bacteria. This is why places with low levels of oxygen, such as airplanes, can cause skin issues. For these reasons, oxygen facials may help calm acne.
How often do you need to get an aerosol oxygen facial?
Aerosol oxygen facials are a good way to maintain skin that’s already healthy and youthful. Some dermatologists recommend the procedure as maintenance for people in their 20s. Of course, you can get an aerosol oxygen facial at any time, and apply it as a daily skincare routine.
Anecdotally speaking, oxygen facials help reduce fine lines, even out texture, add radiance, and help maintain bright, youthful looking skin.
There is no conclusive research on the subject, and some dermatologists adamantly disagree that there could be any benefits to oxygen facials. They believe the procedure may actually cause unnecessary inflammation, redness, or general puffiness.
There are many products that claim to contain oxygen. While these products are well-marketed, there’s little research to support that oxygen can even stay in a skin care product.
Although some people think these products yield great results, their main benefit could be hydration, which comes from moisturizing serums, regardless of whether they contain oxygen.